New York State tax preparer registration
The period to register as a tax preparer for 2017 has begun and the web application is currently available.
If you're paid to prepare New York State tax returns or facilitate refund anticipation loans or checks, you may need to register each year with this department. You may also have to pay a registration fee when you register.
See Who must register and pay for program requirements.
Use e-file: Almost all preparers are required to e-file their clients' returns.
- See Who the mandate applies to for more information.
How to Register:
Register as a tax preparer or facilitator through your Individual Online Services account. See our Tax Preparer Registration demo to learn more. You may also review Tax Preparer Registration questions and answers in our Business Answer Center.
- The IRS has a separate registration program for tax return preparers. You must register with New York State and separately register with the IRS.
- Each preparer needs to first create an Individual Online Services account and then login to the account to access the Tax preparer registration program and register as a preparer or facilitator.
- If you already have created a Tax Professional Online Services account using your social security number, select Tax preparer registration program, then Register as a tax preparer directly through your existing account to register.
- You must now register with New York State for all tax types you prepare. Be sure to register as a tax preparer prior to filing any tax returns in calendar year 2016, to avoid penalties.
Who must register and pay
In general, you must register if you:
- are paid to prepare at least one New York State return in calendar year 2017 as a tax return preparer, or
- help to issue or administer a refund anticipation loan or refund anticipation check.
See More information about New York State tax return preparer registration.
You must pay a $100 registration fee if you are a commercial tax return preparer:
- paid to prepare 10 or more New York State tax returns in calendar year 2016, and will be paid to prepare at least one tax return in calendar year 2017; or
- will be paid to prepare 10 or more tax returns in calendar year 2017.
See our More information page to learn whether you are exempt from registering or qualify as a tax return preparer, commercial preparer, or facilitator.
Certification as to child support obligations
If you're registering as a tax preparer, you will need to certify that you either:
- do not have any child support obligations, or
- you have child support obligations and you are not four months or more in arrears in those obligations. If you are four months or more in arrears in your child support obligations, you must meet one of the exemptions in order to register. See the resource list below for more information.
If you cannot make this certification, you will not be eligible to register.
After you register
- Once you register online, you can print your Certificate of Registration, which includes your New York Tax Preparer Registration Identification Number (NYTPRIN). You can also log in and print the certificate later.
- You must include your NYTPRIN and your signature on signed tax returns or reports when required.
Who may be subject to penalties
- Tax return preparers (including commercial tax return preparers) and facilitators who fail to:
- register or renew each year
- sign a New York State tax return or report or refund anticipation loan or refund anticipation check documentation when required
- include the New York Tax Preparer Registration Identification Number (NYTPRIN) on any New York State tax return or report when required, or on refund anticipation loan or refund anticipation check documentation that requires the facilitator’s signature
- ensure that tax return preparers they employ are registered
- Commercial tax return preparers who fail to pay the annual fee.
For more information or registration assistance
- Contact our Call Center at 518-457-1929.
- See our Tax Preparer Registration demo.
Tax law: Chapter 503 of the Laws of 2009; Chapter 242 of the Laws of 2010
Regulation: 20 NYCRR 2600
- TSB-M-09(11)C, Tax Preparer Registration Program (includes TSB-M-09(9)I,TSB-M-09(10)MTSB-M-09(3)MCTMT,TSB-M-09(4)R,TSB-M-09(15)S
- TSB-M-09(14)C, Amendment to the Definition of Tax Return Preparer for the Tax Preparer Registration Program (includes TSB-M-09(16)I, TSB-M-09(13)M, TSB-M-09(5)MCTMT, TSB-M-09(11)R, TSB-M-09(21)S
- TSB-M-10(6)I, Enrolled Agents Excluded from the Definition of Tax Return Preparer for the Tax Preparer Registration Program.