STAR information for local officials
The links below include detailed information, guides, and tools for the local government community.
STAR exemption and credit links
Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program (IVP)
- IVP Tool User Guide
- How to transmit IVP forms to the Tax Department
- Administering the Enhanced STAR IVP
- Enhanced STAR IVP: Questions and answers for assessors
- STAR exemption assessor guide
- Assisting seniors who missed the exemption application deadline
- Law change regarding manufactured homes and STAR
- Giving up a STAR exemption (formerly STAR exemption removal and renunciation)
- STAR and Property Tax Delinquency
- Penalties related to the STAR program
- Correction of errors and STAR
2022 STAR Program Implementation Guide for local governments and school districts
Local assessors, county real property tax directors, school tax bill processors, school district officials, and the Tax Department are all committed to ensuring eligible homeowners receive timely and accurate credit checks.
This guide provides these stakeholders with the instructions to administer the program.
- Update your roll file based on the Enhanced STAR Eligibility Report (Report #1)
- Remove the STAR exemption from the properties listed in the:
Within 10 days of filing your tentative assessment roll
Before finalizing your final assessment roll
- Send the mobile home and co-op spreadsheets to the Tax Department
- Standardize the STAR exemption naming conventions
- Update your roll file based on the Tentative Roll Corrections Report (Report #4)
- Remove the STAR exemption from the properties listed in the STAR Delinquency Report (Report #5)
- Remove the STAR exemption from the properties listed in the Voluntary Exemption Removal Report – final (Report #6)
Within 10 days of filing your final assessment roll
Before school tax bills are processed
- Update your roll file based on the Final Roll Corrections Report (Report #7)
- Update your roll file based on the STAR Credit Eligible Report (Report #8)
Reports for your information only
At least 30 days prior to the school tax levy
No more than seven days after determining the rates
Within ten days of issuing tax bills
Q. I know of a senior who has previously received the Enhanced STAR exemption and is again eligible this year, but a report indicates that they should only receive the Basic STAR exemption. Can I grant the Enhanced STAR exemption on the assessment roll?
A. Do not grant an enhanced exemption to a property we have identified as eligible for Basic STAR or not eligible for either exemption. Instead, the senior should respond to our denial letter.
Q. If we find that there’s an error in the IVP database, should we correct it in the IVP Tool?
A. Yes. If our determination differs from the tentative or final assessment roll, we’ll include the property on the Tentative Roll Corrections Report or the Final Roll Corrections Report.
Q. What should I put on the tentative roll if some of the newly enrolled properties I entered into the IVP tool aren’t on the Enhanced STAR Eligibility Report (Report #1)?
A. Follow these steps:
- Check the Voluntary Exemption Removal Report (Report #3). If the property owner opted to switch to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption, the property would not be listed on Report #1. Remove the exemption from the roll.
- If the property is not listed in Report #3, open the IVP Tool in the Online Assessment Community, and check the status of the property.
- If the Source is Roll Record, the property has not been entered in the system. Follow the instructions in the User Guide to enter it into the IVP Tool.
- If the enrollment is closed, select Re-activate under the Actions dropdown. If Re-activate does not display, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the property information so that the property can be re-activated by Tax Department staff.
- If you believe the property is eligible for the Enhanced STAR exemption, grant the exemption on the tentative assessment roll. The Tentative Assessment Roll Corrections Report will include the Tax Department’s determination for the property.