Apply for an extension of time to file an income tax return
New online extension application!
Our new application allows you to apply for an extension of time to file a return and make an extension payment within the same transaction.
If you cannot file on time, you can request an automatic extension of time to file the following forms.
- Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return
- Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
- Form IT-204, Partnership Return
- Form IT-205, Fiduciary Income Tax Return
When to file
You must request the extension of time to file on or before the filing deadline of your return.
|Filer||Return||2016 Filing Deadline for Calendar Year Filers||Length of Extension||Extended Due Date|
|Individual||Form IT-201 or IT-203||April 18, 2017||6 months||October 16, 2017|
|Partnership||Form IT-204||March 15, 2017*||6 months||September 15, 2017|
|Fiduciaries||Form IT-205||April 18, 2017||5 1/2 months||October 2, 2017|
*Calendar year partnership filers can no longer request a 2016 extension since the filing deadline has passed.
There are special filing deadlines in certain instances.
An extension request filed after the filing deadline for your return will be invalid.
How to request your extension
- You can complete your request for free using our online service.
- You must e-file your extension if you prepare your extension using software that supports e-file.
- If your paid preparer is required to e-file your tax return, and is also preparing your extension request, the preparer must e-file your extension request.
The online and e-file options provide you with a confirmation that we received your extension request.
Fiscal year filers should contact us to request an extension.
Payment of tax
You must make full payment of the properly estimated tax balance due when you request your extension of time to file.