Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) program
If your income in 2017 was $66,000 or less, you can visit one of our FSA sites to prepare and electronically file your federal and state returns with assistance from Tax Department employees—for free!
At our FSA sites and lab settings, we’ll guide you through free tax preparation software as you prepare and e-file your federal and state income tax returns.
Not interested but still want free tax preparation software?
Using your own computer, tablet, or mobile device, you can prepare and e-file your income tax returns whenever and wherever you want using the same free tax preparation software we use at our FSA sites.
How to have a successful FSA visit and filing experience
You must bring all of the following when visiting an FSA site or lab:
- email address
- copy of last year’s tax return or your prior year federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI)
- photo ID
- driver license or state-issued non-driver ID (for you and your spouse, if filing jointly)
- birth dates and Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your dependents
- proof of income (wages, interest and dividend statements):
- Forms W-2, 1098, 1099
- any other documents showing additional income
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C, Affordable Healthcare Statement
- information related to any credits you’re claiming
- your banking information (the account number and the routing number for your bank, which you can find on a blank check)
The average tax return takes about an hour to prepare.
When you create your account, you’ll need to:
- Decide on your user name. It must be at least six characters.
- Create a password. It must:
- be at least eight characters,
- include at least one uppercase letter,
- include at least one lowercase letter,
- include at least one number, and
- include at least one special character ($,#,%, or !).
- Choose three security questions and answers (each question must have a different answer).
After you file your return, you need to:
- Keep a printed copy of the return and confirmation page, if applicable, for your records.
- Check your email to ensure your return is accepted.
- If your return is rejected, follow the instructions provided in the email.