Skip universal navigation
Skip to main content

Department of Taxation and Finance

Department of Taxation and Finance

Do you receive a STAR exemption?

If you currently receive your STAR benefit as a reduction on your school tax bill (the STAR exemption), you may receive a greater benefit if you switch to the STAR credit to receive a check instead.

Make the switch 

Note: If you currently receive the Basic STAR exemption and your income is more than $250,000, you must switch to the credit to continue receiving a STAR benefit.

Featured Resources

What's New

Demos for our online services

Watch our new and updated demos for step-by-step instructions when using an online service.

View demos and videos

Itemized deductions for tax year 2018 and after

Beginning with tax year 2018, you may choose to itemize your deductions on a New York State income tax return even if you do not itemize your deductions on a federal income tax return.

Learn about itemizing

Featured in May

Mark your calendar: Grievance Day

If you disagree with your property’s assessed value, you have the right to grieve. Grievance Day, the deadline to challenge your property assessment and the day the Board of Assessment Review (BAR) meets to hear complaints, is approaching. In most communities, it’s May 28, 2019, but you should confirm the date with your local assessor.

Missed a due date?

If you haven't filed and paid your tax, use our penalty and interest calculator to calculate your late filing and late payment penalties and interest. Note: Only use this calculator if you're sending your late return and late payment together.

Learn about the Charitable Gifts Trust Fund

The FY 2019 Budget created a new Charitable Gifts Trust Fund in the joint custody of the New York State Commissioner of Taxation and Finance and the State Comptroller to accept donations for the purposes of improving health care and public education in New York State. If you're interested in making a contribution, review our guidance to learn more.